Departments and Faculty
You'll be great. Trust us.
We'll all ears. Before we became players, singers, conductors, and composers, listening was our first love. And it's still the skill that underlies everything we do at SFCM. Hearing and reading your work are the first steps toward a beautiful musical partnership. We can't wait.
Acceptance into the Composition program at SFCM requires pre-screening.
Live auditions at the Conservatory are required of the following applicants:
- Anyone residing in California
Regional auditions are available for the following applicants:
- Applicants residing outside of California
Final audition recordings are accepted from the following applicants:
- BFY Dress Summer 50s Polka Women's 60s Vintage Audrey Sleeveless Dot Blue Hepburn Belt Undergraduate applicants residing outside of California
- Graduate applicants residing outside the United States
- Composition applicants and Technology and Applied Composition applicants are strongly encouraged to audition at either a San Francisco audition or at a regional audition site. However, if unable to make a live audition, undergraduate and international applicants may submit a final piano recording to accompany their portfolio.
- Final recordings must be submitted online through the formal Application, found Women Mid Pattern1 Comfy Dress Color Length Slim Party Crewneck Irregular Pure FdqdwAPTx, no later than December 1.
Applicants must submit three or more scores in various media and a recording (audio or audio-visual) of each score in their pre-screening portfolio by December 1. Scores must show evidence of original musical thought, along with the fundamentals of compositional technique. While electronic compositions are acceptable, applicants must also demonstrate competence with traditional notation in the scores submitted. Computer-generated scores should be checked for correct transpositions, appropriate accidentals, and normal spellings. MIDI recordings are acceptable in exceptional cases, but acoustic performances are strongly recommended.
Final Audition Requirements
- Pre-screening portfolio contents, as described in the pre-screening section above will be discussed at the live audition.
- Vintage Polka Hepburn 50s BFY Dress Audrey Women's Belt Sleeveless Blue Summer 60s Dot Demonstrated ability at the piano. It is strongly recommended that this be done at a live audition, either at the Conservatory or at one of the regional audition sites. Undergraduate applicants who live outside California may submit a final audio-visual recording electronically in their application. Applicants may also be asked to realize figured bass at the piano, score-read a chamber work, and/or sight-read a simple piano work. Should piano not be the candidate's primary instrument, the applicant is welcome to upload an electronic recording of a performance on their primary instrument with their portfolio. Applicants must still complete the piano evaluation requirement.Three complete works or movements should be prepared from the following periods: baroque, classical, romantic, and 20th/21st century. When choosing the 20th/21st century category, the applicant is encouraged to perform one of his or her own compositions.
Audition Dates at SFCM
- January 21, 2018
- February 18, 2018